Saturday, January 16, 2021

World Book. WORDDDDD.

Wikipedia will never replace an Encyclopedia...except it has for better or worse (in terms of expediency).

I want to be the last, traveling Encyclopedia salesman in the contiguous United States. I will donate what little money that I make towards The Wandering Minstrels of the United Encyclopediac Wandering Minstrels of the United Fund. TWMOTUEWMOFTUF?

I don't even know if there are any encyclopedias even being printed any longer. The Encyclopedia Brittanica discontinued its print edition and is online only now.





Are we replacing the authority of the experts with the wisdom of the crowds?

Wikipedia is very useful, but anyone who cites it without diligently checking the source is lazy. That's why I make sure to print out Wikipedia every day.

I have a lot of paper in my house.

New business venture - Malonelopaedia Vietnamesia Irishica. All information consists of comic book-lore, Clancy Brother's lyrics, egg-roll recipes and regrets. Done.  A-Z. One Volume. $199.00 Dollars, in five monthly installed payments of $85.93 cents.


Recent studies have shown that Wikipedia is only .94% less accurate than Britannica. More troubling, it has zero worth anchoring an Ikea bookshelf...but not if you print it out.

When my Pops was a kid he had Comptons and would read them from beginning to end. I know what a Dung Beetle is because of Encyclopedia Britannica. I also miss the Sears catalog horribly.

One of my friends only had the encyclopedia up to the letter P and just found out out what a zebra was last week.

Also, random people can't update an actual encyclopedia with bullshit information. So, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Comments! Your FACE is a comment! Huh?