Monday, October 27, 2008

Stephen King Has Always Been My BFF...




For years I dreamed of having the sort of massive oak slab that would dominate a room . . . In 1981, I got the one I wanted and placed it in the middle of a spacious, skylighted study in the rear of the house. For six years, I sat behind that desk either drunk or wrecked out of my mind . . .

A year or two after I sobered up, I got rid of that monstrosity and put in a living room suite where it had been. . . . In the early nineties, before they moved on to their own lives, my kids sometimes came up in the evening to watch a baseball game or a movie and eat pizza. . . . I got another desk -- it's handmade, beautiful, and half the size of the T. rex desk. I put it at the far west end of the office, in a corner under the eave. . . . I'm sitting under it now, a fifty-three-year-old man with bad eyes, a gimp leg, and no hangover. I'm doing what I know how to do, and as well as I know how to do it. I came through all the stuff I told you about . . . and now I'm going to tell you as much as I can about the job. . . .

It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn't in the middle of the room. Life isn't a support-system for art. It's the other way around.

2 comments:

  1. Stephen King AND Ben. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes I focus in on something til the world goes wonky. Then I find I've burned holes in my retinas and can't see; much less focus. So kids... Listen to Mr. King. That's Stephen, not Martin L..
    Mad props for digging this up, Milky Way. Something I need to constantly remind myself of.
    p.s. see you in the car
    Love,
    Milhouse

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Comments! Your FACE is a comment! Huh?